Friday, September 21, 2012

Recalling Miss Neaves

If there is one image that stays with me related to Miss Neaves, perhaps one of the great teachers at St. Anthony's, it was her handwriting.
It was classic and vintage.
And it was part of her - and not limited to writing the names of athletes in their certificates.

Miss Neaves came into our orbit only when we must have passed into Std.VII. Her classroom was in the classic block on the north end of our campus, on the ground floor. And everybody who studied her knew her of her.

Tough, proper, classic, Anglo Indian, disciplined, sports loving, quiet humour.
And she carried the image of a teacher of the 60s generation.

Neaves not only piloted sports at school but was a huge figure in the city athletics scene. You got a sense of her role and her importance at inter-school meets.

I think she also handled Moral Class / Catechism. She directed a Jesus play in which Beverly, a relative played Jesus!

But I had to interact with her more closely as School Head Boy. It was a careful interaction. And when we did a naughty act on a sports file, I got into trouble with her. I think those were times when teens simply didnt like authority.

Few students can forget the memory, the role of Miss Neaves. All of us who had to do with sports, still spoke of her. though we lost track of her after we passed out of school.

Now comes a time when we begin to value the work of people like Miss Neaves.
As we plan a project that recalls her, you can share your own anecdotes of Miss Neaves. Post pictures too please.

I will need to dig out my Shot Put cert carrying her handwriting, scan it and post it here soon!

1 comment:

  1. Vince, I very well recollect the tough authority that Miss.Neaves asserted and look where we are now. That authority and eye for rules and regulations is what made us what we are now. I still cherish my 200 Meters and 100 meters certificate and brought it with me to Canada. Will scan and post here soon.
    Mohan

    ReplyDelete